Friday, September 4, 2009

The Irish Setter

I am reading The Irish Setter by Charlotte Wilcox. It tells everything about the Irish Setter including the history, breed, what it looks like, and what they are used for.

When I was reading the book, there was a picture of an Irish setter. It reminded me of a dachshund because dachshunds have reddish-brown coats too. They also have floppy ears but they have much shorter legs.

I felt confused when the book said that red Irish setters became popular in Ireland when The Earl of Enniskillen raised one. If he is an earl, wouldn't the king's dog be more popular? The king should be more popular because he rules the whole country, not just a town.

I think that Irish Setters make really good service dogs because they taught one Irish setter to dial 911. That saved her owner's life!!

Next, I think this book will tell me about why Irish Setters make such good pets. I think that because the heading says Owning an Irish Setter and it will probably tell me why they make such good pets and how to take care of them.

There is one part where it talks about Palmerston. Palmerston is one of the most famous Irish Setters. Most of the Irish Setters in the US are decendents of Palmerston.It didn't say why Palmerston was famous. So why was he famous? Is it because he was larger than others??

And finally, I could feel how grateful Lyric's owner felt when Lyric saved her. One part of this book talks about how Irish setters make such good service dogs. There was this one lady who couldn't breathe during the night with out an oxygen mask. Somehow, it came unplugged while she was sleeping. Luckily, Lyric has been trained for this and she dialed 911. That saved her owner's life! That's so cool that a dog could dial 911 and save her owner's life.








1 comment:

Ms. English said...

Dear ES!

EXCELLENT post for your non-fiction book. Thank you for sharing that with us!

In my opinion, Irish Setters are beautiful dogs. There is one that lives in a neighborhood near me and I often see him and his owner walking as I drive home from work or errands. He is a "teenager" right now and still adorable. His legs are EXTREMELY long and don't look like they fit his body!

Thank you for going into just the right amount of detail for each section of your response. Well done!

Keep up the great work,
Ms. E